Monday, August 13, 2012

Meatless Monday -- Spicy Teriyaki Chickpeas

Prior to this recipe that I adapted from Meatless Monday, I had never tried a chickpea. I was pleasantly surprised how good they were in this dish. If you're not a fan of spicy meals, you may want to hold back on the red pepper flakes. If you like meals with a kick, this is definitely for you!

You'll Need:

1 15 oz. can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 cup low sodium teriyaki sauce
1 tsp red pepper flakes
2 TBS sesame oil
1/2 green bell pepper, cut into 1 inch chunks
1/2 red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch chunks
1/2 large onion, cut into 1 inch chunks
1 cup chunk pineapple
2 cups cooked brown rice

To Make:

Combine the chickpeas, teriyaki sauce and red pepper flakes in a bowl, stir and set aside while you prepare the other ingredients. In a large pan heat the sesame oil and add the peppers and onions, saute for about 5 minutes. Add the pineapple and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes. Add the marinated chickpeas and cook for another 7 minutes. Lastly, add your cooked brown rice and stir into the mixture.



Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Billie, I'm your newest follower. I don't like cooking at all. I do it because I have to. Maybe I'll be inspired. I've made something similar to your spicy chickpeas but used other pulses too and instead of pineapple and rice used tomatoes and parsley then added a french dressing. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to cook! Hopefully some of my dishes will inspire you; what you came up with sounds delicious as well, I will have to try that. Thanks for stopping by and sharing!

      Delete